Friday, October 5, 2012

Disagreements and Conflicts


Disagreements and Conflicts
            A very common cause of disagreements occurs due to people having different opinions about a particular fact. Recently at work I had a conflict with a co-worker in regards to high-quality of teachers that have been recently hired for the agency. The more I quoted what high-quality means, the more upset she became with me. Sometimes you can keep a conflict from escalating simply by acknowledging your disagreement. Two strategies I have learned to manage or resolve conflict is to address the conflict. Identify the source of the conflict. Understand how to approach each person involved. Compromise if necessary. This shoes the employees that you are willing to work with them. Compromise is a way to resolve conflict in which both parties must give up something to gain something (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2012 p. 241). The ultimate goal in conflict resolution is for both parties to resolve the issue between themselves.
The 3 R’s (respectful, reciprocal, and responsive) interactions might impact communication by allowing you to accept another person’s point of view when communicating. The way people communicate through verbal and nonverbal language impacts on what message the listener receive, whether intended or not.
Two-way communication allows sharing of information, concerns, and feelings. It is essential to build a rapport, and building understanding, trust, and a sense of collaboration. Effective communication leads to understanding. Communication is a two-way process that involves getting your message across and understanding what others have to say. Communication involves active listening speaking and observing. One of the greatest effects of successful communication is the abilities to be understood and to understand.

Reference
O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St.
       Martin’s.

 

2 comments:

  1. Robbie,
    You made a very good point about compromising when the situation warrants it. It benefits no one to dig our heels in and refuse to entertain another viewpoint. I agree that communication must be two -way if it is going to accomplish anything. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie,

    I agree that resolving conflicts requires understanding the other(s) and being understood by them. Since each person is different, looking for different strategies to achieve this is important too.

    Aya

    ReplyDelete