Professional Hopes and
Goals
Diversity is about how we differ.
Diversity is about one another’s uniqueness~ Ola Joseph
One hope that I have when I think about working with
children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that children and
families are respected for their diversity. Each child and family should feel
comfortable and good about whom they are as a person. Diversity and multicultural education must
occur all the time in early childhood programs. A high quality early childhood
programs plays a critical role in supporting children and families. As a
professional in early childhood it is important to study the nature of our
social identities and their link with diversity because our various identities
are important aspects of ourselves that shape our attitudes, behaviors,
worldviews and experiences.
My goal I would like to set for the early childhood
field in relations to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is to
create an anti-bias learning community. If people create a society that doesn’t
see difference and diversity as problems, but as valuable social growth, many
causes of conflict disappear. Ensuring that every family feels welcome and
comfortable creates a crucial foundation for mutually respectful relationships
(Derman-Sparks & Edwards).
I would like to thank my colleagues for sharing
their great insights in this course. Studying diversity has helped me learn
about my own social identities and background. I wish everyone much success in
their future classes and on this early childhood journey.
Reference
Derman-Sparks, L.,
& Edwards, J.O. (2010). Anti-bias
education for young children and
ourselves.
Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children
(NAEYC).
No comments:
Post a Comment