Friday, September 7, 2012

Competent Communication

Competent Communication
Someone who demonstrates competent communication within a particular context is the Mississippi State Specialist (STG international) for Head Start/Early Head Start Programs, Mrs. Amos. Competent communication is communication that is effective and appropriate for a given situation, in which the communicators continually evaluate and reassess their own communication process (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2012).
Mrs. Amos possesses the ability to send messages through her training that promotes attainment of goals while maintaining social acceptability. She has the ability to communicate effectively. Competence entails caring about the other person and the relationships, and making sure that the outcomes of communication are as satisfying as possible to all involved. The State Specialist understands another’s perspective. During training for staff she attempts to align herself with each other’s goals and methods to produce a smooth, productive, and often enjoyable dialogue.
I would want to model my own communication behaviors after this person because as an Early Childhood Manager for a Head Start/Early Head Start program I want to be effective in communicating with teachers, staff and parents to achieve their goals. Schools and homes are committed to the nurturing, development, and education of children.

Reference
O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An  introduction. New York: Bedford/St.    
       Martin’s.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robbie!

    Thank you for describing the communication techniques of the State Specialist. I really like the fact that she tries to align herself with other's goals and methods in order to produce a smooth, productive and often enjoyable dialogue. It is so important that when meetings take place everyone is on the same page for the agenda. There have been so many times that people try to discuss too many things and nothing ends up getting accomplished. A true sign of an effective communicator is well-planned dialogue that covers the necessary topics in a clear concise manner.

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie,

    I really like your saying that “[c]ompetence entails caring about the other person and the relationships, and making sure that the outcomes of communication are as satisfying as possible to all involved.” I believe that this is the stance early childhood professionals should take. This also encourages me to communicate more actively because I sometimes hesitate to communicate with English speakers compared to people who speak Japanese because I feel insecure about successful communication when I speak English.

    Aya

    ReplyDelete