Thursday, May 16, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels


Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

Three local or state organizations or communities of practice that appealed to me for early childhood are Mississippi Head Start Association, The Southern Early Childhood Association and the Mississippi Early Childhood Association. These early childhood organizations appealed to my work as an early childhood administrator for a Head Start and Early Head Start program. These organizations initiative is to improve the quality of care and development young children and their families.

The Mississippi Head Start Association’s (MHSA) provide the state’s children and families with a range of individualized services in the areas of education and early child development, medical, dental, and mental health, nutrition, and parent involvement. Head Start programs are designed to build on the strengths of families and communities. The Southern Early Childhood Association (SECA) is committed to improving the quality of care and education for young children and their families through advocacy and professional Development. The Mississippi Early Childhood Association (MsECA) goal is to connect early childhood professional to one another on the local level. Contact hours can be obtained for child care licensure.

Job opportunities that are currently available that interest me include a Program Director and Head Start Director. Skills and experiences I will need to feel these roles include:

  • Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree in Public or Business Administration, Early Childhood Education, Social Services or a related field.
  • Experience in budgeting, financial planning and Head Start program financial management, with knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards.
  •  Knowledge of Necessary federal and/ or state laws and regulations to meet all program requirements and mandates. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills. Positive experience in an educational environment and in responding to the needs of parents, grantees and constituent groups.
  • Excellent computer knowledge and skills, with understanding of program outcomes ad results oriented management and accountability.

 

References

Mississippi Early Childhood Association. Retrieved from http://www.msearlychildhood.org/

Mississippi Head Start Association. Retrieved from http://www.msheadstartassociation.org/

Southern Early Childhood Association. Retrieved from http://www.southernearlychildhood.org/

 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. Although I did not chose the same COPs as you, they all focus on the same areas, medical, dental, and mental health, nutrition, and parent involvement. I also would not mind being a program administrator. I would like to be over the county's NC Pre-k which would require me to get a certification or licensure in school administration. I would also need a master’s degree and five years of teaching experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie,

    The Mississippi Early Childhood Association sounds like a good community of practice because of being at the local level you can get in touch with other professionals who face about the same challenges as you do. I have a question with regard to the Program Director and Head Start Director opening, do you get any training related to the budgeting and financial planning? In the Head Start program I used to work at, the site director did not have to deal with anything related to money, but I am sure the program director was in charge of that.

    Thanks for sharing Robbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbie,

    That is great that you have a network of such supportive communities of practice in your position as an early childhood administrator of a Head Start program. I love how Head Start program offer families not only care for their children during early years, but also care and support for their family and home life which provides a healthier start for young children and parents. I too am currently an administrator of an early childhood program and, as you too have listed above, there are so many skills a program leader and director must take on to successfully guide his/her educators, families, and students. I am looking forward to reading more of your future posts regarding your experiences as an early childhood leader.
    Thank you for sharing - Caitlin

    ReplyDelete